The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a free tax preparation service run by volunteers. VITA offers free tax help to those who made $66,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their tax return. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing.
Items to bring to appointment:
- IRS Identity Protection Pin, if applicable
- For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
- Photo identification for you and your spouse (if filing joint return)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification number documents for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- All forms W-2, 1098 and 1099
- Form 1095-A (Marketplace Health Insurance)
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
- For direct deposit of refund, proof of bank account number
In 2019, 4C volunteers prepared 153 tax returns during the tax filing season, up from 98 the previous year.