JOB TITLE: ACCOUNTING & FINANCE SUPERVISOR
DEPARTMENT: ORANGE COUNTY
SUPERVISES: A/P Accountant I/II, A/R Accountant, Finance and Accounting Assistant, Head Start and Early Head Start Finance Analyst
Supervises the Agency’s accounting area. Advanced accounting and financial recordkeeping, which involves knowledge of the practices and methods of cost and fund accounting, and familiarity with the overall operations of manual and computerized accounting systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides supervision to the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable staff including recruitment, hiring, evaluation, termination and complaint resolution.
- Provides supervision to the Head Start/Early Head Start Finance staff including recruitment, hiring, evaluation, termination and complaint resolution.
- Record all accrued expenses and prepares and post recurring journal entries.
- Reviews financial transaction documents such as payment requisitions, invoices, payroll records and leases for accuracy, completeness, authenticity and classification (as to general ledger and contracts).
- Reconciles various general ledger accounts, researches differences, prepares and enters corrections and adjustments. Analyzes significant differences in general ledger accounts from month-to-month (as well as compared to the same month of the corresponding period) and provides variance explanations.
- Prepares schedules of Prepaid Insurance, Deferred Accounts, and other balance sheet accounts. Verifies the 401(k) and Pension Plan contribution prepared by the Payroll/Benefits Specialist.
- Prepares monthly analysis on purchased care contracts to facilitate the annual audit.
- Communicates with third parties to resolve differences in fiscal matters.
- Reviews and verifies monthly administrative invoices, including compliance with funding source requirements and all required documents by the due date.
- Sets up new accounts, cost centers as needed (i.e. maintains the general ledger and financial statement reporting structure).
- Reviews and approves payroll in the absence of the Senior Accountant and Director of Finance and Accounting. Reviews payroll reconciliations to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Reviews monthly A/R aging reports; notes areas of concern and plans for follow-up as necessary. Ensures that past due letters are prepared and mailed monthly. Reviews monthly AP aging report; notes areas of concern and plans for collections.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in leadership techniques, customer service and the coordination of people and resources. Knowledge of accounting principles and practices and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Ability to demonstrate the management of financial resources.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure. Ability to demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Ability to operate a personal computer. Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheet and accounting database software (MSWord, MS Excel). Ability to navigate the Internet.
- Ability to communicate effectively to disseminate financial information in a manner understandable to management, staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various multi-cultural backgrounds and socio- economic levels.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or any other Finance Specialty.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, financial and/or statistical reporting, decision making, and related responsibilities.
- Three (3) years of supervision experience.
SALARY: $53,435.00 Annually
PAY GRADE: 13
RESUMES: Apply Online or email email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer – Veteran/Disability